Wednesday, February 24, 2010

This diva's been not so diva-like...

SO one of my friends from Georgia told I needed to update my blog. Sorry I've been such a slacker! That isn't very diva-like, but hey....a diva sometimes falls off the diva wagon.

I've been so busy with work (gasp!), training for sectionals, and cooking Paleo food on a regular basis that my blog has had to take a back seat. But no worries, people, I'm back with a fab new recipe and a couple of personal Paleo updates. So...here's the news:

- Since I've been at this Paleo life-style since September, I've gone to a one cheat meal a week plan for the past month or so. This has been enough to keep me sane, and I've found that it hasn't really interrupted my training progress nor has it been hard to "get back on the Paleo train" after the cheat. I typically reserve it for Saturday night (date night!), and I always, always have dessert. What's a cheat meal without dessert?! I was worried at first that I would have a hard time on Sundays and Mondays, but it hasn't seemed to affect me at all.

- We started a 90 day Paleo challenge at the gym about 30 days ago. One of my gym buddies is thinking about letting me post her before and after pics...so definitely stay tuned! She is super dedicated to Paleo and to her wods, so I'm sure we'll see a HUGE difference. She's totally a paleo diva.

- Sectionals, sectional, sectionals....GA sectionals this weekend, AL sectionals the next, and FL sectionals the next. SO exciting to see the outcomes!!! I'll post results of anyone I know qualifying for Regionals here as they are announced.

- And finally, a new recipe is listed below courtesy of Robyn. She's also a fab paleo diva! Thanks Robyn!!!

Diva on, peeps, diva on....

Shepard's Pie
1lb. Ground whatever! (I use beef, feel free to use turkey or something else!)
1 good sized head of cauliflower
1 can tomato sauce
2ish cups of any vegetable you'd like! (I use sliced zucchini & yellow squash!!)

This is really easy, you are going to want to get the cauliflower boiling first. Cut into florets, get it into a saucepan of water and simmer on medium.

At the same time you want to brown your ground meet and season however you'd like, some Italian seasonings work great in this recipe. Once browned, drain your meet and place it in the bottom of a round (or square I suppose!) casserole dish, but not one of those long rectangle ones. You want something with about an 8" diameter and 6ish" high sides.

Next, layer your vegetable of choice on top of the ground meat. If it is a thicker/tougher veggie like broccoli or carrots, you may want to steam them first!
Once softened, remove your cauliflower to a few sheets of paper towel and allow some of the water to be absorbed. You can squeeze them if you'd like, but they will be hot!! I then place the cauliflower in a separate bowl and mash with a fork. If you have one, it would be ok to use a blender or food processor. Spread your mashed cauliflower on top of your meat/veggies and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes to warm through. You can also try to put it on broil for a minute at the end to brown the cauliflower but this has never worked for me.

While baking, I warm the tomato sauce in a saucepan. Once everything is done, I plate the Shepard's Pie and use the tomato sauce like a gravy. This recipe is so simple and delicious, I usually make myself sick eating every last bite because it is so good! I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment