Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

Last night I decided I had had it with roasted veggies to accompany my meat of the night. I've had soooooo many roasted vegetables I might turn into one possibly tomorrow!

While perusing the net yesterday, I ran across a fried green tomato recipe...so I thought why not!? Even though I had a few mishaps when making these, they were a good change from the roasted veggies.

Take Note: A word of advice, do not, I repeat DO NOT, let the oil get too hot. Another word of advice - clean out the pan each time you make a new batch. I repeat CLEAN OUT THE PAN EACH TIME YOU MAKE A NEW BATCH.

To tell the truth, I was really trying to do too many things at once, and my second batch sort of got a little overcooked. Ok, well, overcooked might be an understatement. Can we say absolutely burned to he** and back!? The whole entire house filled up with smoke, and my hair still smells like burned fried green tomatoes even after washing it this morning!

But I digress, even though I had a small snaffoo, they turned out delicious. I highly recommend these little nuggets for something other than roasted veggies. They aren't too time consuming, however you will need to dedicate a little time so that you don't experience burned fried green tomato smell for days! The recipe and a review from my bf is below.

Fried Green Tomatoes
4 green tomatoes
1/2 cup almond meal/almond flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
cumin to taste
pepper and cayenne to taste
3 eggs
EVOO

Slice the tomatoes to desired thickness. Whisk the 3 eggs in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, flax seed meal, cumin, pepper and cayenne. Heat the evoo in a pan. Dip the tomatoes in the egg mixture, then place them in the almond/flax mixture coating both sides evenly. Place tomatoes in heated evoo. Fry roughly 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Sprinkle with celtic sea salt when done IF you use this. For strict Paleo folks, omit the salt.

REVIEW by Dave Johnson:
I would go with 2 thumbs up! Of course I haven't had anything similar to that type texture in a long time and I was hungry because of my 5 mile run at a 7:25 pace(had to brag just 1 more time-oh and that was a training run and not a race-feel free to include that. Also include that at The JCC on mile 5 I was at 34:28-yeh I'm fast). I loved the F.G.T.'s and can't wait til I get them again. Even the burned ones were good. I really mean that. I'm not just saying that for brownie points or anything! I guess I'm trying to say 2 thumbs up!

3 comments:

  1. i thought about you saying you were cooking these last night and i wish i had this recipe! i cooked eggplant - just flash-fried in a skillet with some evoo (no coating to the veggie). next time, i'll be using this to try out a new seasoning for it...maybe mix some green tomatoes in ... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you can bake them too. I make baked green tomatoes from time to time too when I'm tired of all the same ol things.

    Another alternative to roasted veggies is using the steamer bags. They are handy and quick.

    And for my last suggestion, since I'm no paleo diva but it seems from this you can have oil... try brussel sprouts coated in olive oil and a little minced garlic. Cook in the oven on 400 till crispy on the outside. VERY TASTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm jennifer! the brussel sprouts sound devine! i will try this soon!!!

    jackie and i also were talking about doing this same thing with eggplant, and then i had an epiphany about putting a paleo marinara on fried egg plant! Paleo Eggplant Parmigiana! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete