Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Paleo Treats

This time of year is especially difficult to maintain Paleo. If you work in an office environment, there is an endless supply of cookies, cakes, pies, and holiday treats that are extremely difficult to avoid. Fortunately at my office, the kitchen is located upstairs from me and the "treats" typically wind up in there. I can pretty much avoid these little demon items! Complete avoidance is my m.o. and very beneficial since, like many Americans, I am definitely a sugar addict. Once I start, I can't stop! If I am eating a doughnut or cookie or piece of fudge, I will actually be thinking about the NEXT doughnut or cookie or piece of fudge that I will devour....I won't even enjoy the treat I'm eating! I tell ya, it's extremely sick thinking, but more the reason to continue on the Paleo path!

My friend Cookie (no pun intended), a fellow CF'er from California and Paleo foodie extraordinaire, has a recipe posted today in regards to holiday Paleo treats! I thought I would borrow her recipe to pass on to all of you! Her website is www.paleochix.com. Please visit it often, as it has tons of great inspiration, motivation and Paleo friendly recipes! In addition, please let me know if you make this recipe and how it turns out. My thought was to add a little carob to lend a chocolatey flavor, however the coconut milk may need to be increased so it remains liquidy enough -- but my idea might need some tweaking. When I try out the recipe this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes! Enjoy!

PALEO FUDGE

13.5 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup almond butter
dash of celtic seasalt
3 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups crushed pecans
1/2 c finely shredded unsweetened coconut (may need sifting - the finer the better!!)

Boil the milk and coconut until the coconut is not longer visible. Add salt, vanilla and almond butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Add in pecans and stir til thickens. Poor into wax paper lined pan. Chill for 24 hrs to set. Serve COLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment